Under is a listing of a number of the more famous methods of remotely connecting to every other laptop for remote get entry to or assistance. First, is a list of online offerings, those are offerings that allow every body with an internet browser to remotely get admission to and connect with any other computer. subsequent, is a list of software packages which can be used to attach and remotely get right of entry to different computers. sooner or later, on the cease of the document you could find extra facts approximately resolving issues you could encounter that prevent you from the use of one of the below offerings.
TeamViewer – http://www.teamviewer.com/
LogMeIn – http://www.logmein.com/
A great free service that allows you to remotely connect to another computer using your Internet browser. After installing a small program onto the computer, the program allows you to remotely connect to another computer. Once connected, you can open remote files, check your email, run programs, and provide remote support to a local user.
GoToMyPC – https://www.gotomypc.com/
WebEx PCNow – http://pcnow.webex.com/
Note: These programs have a free trial and if you like requires a monthly/annual fee.
Tip: If your work or school prohibits information from being installed onto the computer you can install many of these programs on a USB thumb drive instead of from the computer.
TightVNC – http://www.tightvnc.com/
A fantastic free and open source program that is derived from the popular VNC programthat allows you to remotely connect to another computer and control it. The program supports multiple platforms including Microsoft Windows, MacOS, Linux, and Unix, and can transfer files between computers.
RealVNC – http://www.realvnc.com/
The original VNC program that allows users to remotely connect to other computers running VNC. RealVNC has three different versions. The free version that supports a standard connection and the Professional and Enterprise editions with encryption, One-port HTTP & VNC, file transfer, and more.
One of the most popular commercial software programs for Microsoft Windows, MacOS, Linux operating system to connect to another computer with the same program.
Laplink Everywhere – http://www.laplink.com/lle/
A great software program for Microsoft Windows computers to remote connect without hassling with firewalls. Laplink has three different modes of connection, high security, and much more.
Windows XP Professional
Users who have Windows XP Professional installed on their computers can also use the Windows XP Professional Remote Desktop option to remotely access their computer.
Below is additional information about potential problems you may encounter when using any of the above solutions.
- Firewall – Any firewall protecting your home, work, or school network must be open for many of these software programs or services to communicate with other computers. If you have a software firewall program running on your computer you must unblock or open the port for the program when prompted. Some schools and corporations have a hardware firewall that will block almost all outside Internet traffic making it difficult if not impossible for many of these solutions to work.
- Static IP vs. Dynamic IP – Many of the programs require you to specify the IP address of your computer. If you do not have a static IP address, the address changes each time you connect to the Internet.
- Modem vs. always on connection – If you connect to the Internet using a Dial-up Modem instead of broadband you must keep your modem connected to the computer.
- Plug-ins and additional software – Many of the online services that allow you to remotely connect to another computer over your browser will require that a plug-in be installed into the browser or a third-party program be installed. Some work and school computers may prohibit you from doing this.
- Computer must be on – Finally, the computer you want to connect to must remain powered on.